Sunday, November 21, 2010

un Bon Crib pour M. Le President.

The gates to the Palais Francais, where M. Sarcozy (cozy with whom?) lives... on Rue Gabriel. It's a massive complex, all gated. But the guards are very nice.




To the Arc, then a walk down the Champs Elysees until I get tired (crowded on Saturday) and hop the bus!

















view from trocadero


i love the 7th







walk home from the bus



























cute, cute, cute



Maille? who knew?






rose shop smelled divine!



Herve chocolate on rue st honore,
yes that's a chocolate shoe








former Porte St. Honore, from which Joan of Arc launched her campaign against the Brits.








inside a busy cafe near the Louvre at lunchtime






















the flat




A rainy Sunday in Paris...

what could be more romantic? I thought I'd catch up on some photo postings, just for you, Tee. I can't say I've accomplished much during the last week, as least not when measured by the usual "tourista" standards, yet I feel as though I've done a lot. My agenda most days consists of starting out with some vague direction from the appartement in mind, and then I may or may not follow that directional yen. I usually have a simple goal in mind, that way self-flagellation remains at a minimum. Like purchasing a book downtown, or finding a certain patissier. ("The Help", by the way, was a very good read, and bravo to the white woman who had the nerve to write it. I'll read most anything about Mississippi, but this was exceptional. Now I wonder if there's anything out there by a black woman with the entire experience from that angle.)

A few things before I just post pictures and label them... It would appear that letting your mind wander is not all they said it was cracked up to be in the 60s. I am not surprised; if there is one thing life has taught me it's that I'm happiest when thoroughly engaged (in the flow, as Joseph Campbell said some time ago) in some pursuit.

You may or may not be surprised to know that the US Supreme Court has turned into a bunch of blowhards. All hat and no cattle, as they say. It seems several scholarly people have taken the trouble to read and compare the opinions of the Roberts Court and discovered its decisions are "long on words and short on guidance", no surprise there. To me this reads, "cowardly, when it comes to taking a clear stand on constitutional issues". This is the route one takes when ideology trumps reason. Of course, anyone who read Bush v Gore saw the way the judicial winds were blowing in December 2000. Non? It's their job to set guiding precedent, yet this drift into vagueness a decade ago, before Roberts even showed up, manifested when they insisted Bush v Gore was not to be interpreted as "setting a precedent". So.... what were they doing then? Can you say, judicial coup d'etat?]

Apparently the Supremes' job description has changed. Is that constitutional? Is there anyone out there who even cares outside (or inside?) the legal establishment? [tiny voice with raised hand:
" I care, I care!"]

Here's a little gem of a site if you need a little boost in your spirits: it's the Monet exhibit at the Grand Palais here in Paris. It's sold out, but the online show (turn your volume up and listen to the relaxing music as well) is gorgeous. This is one of the most welldone websites I've even seen. I turn it on when I'm doing other things just because I like the music.

And lastly, here's an interesting piece I found some time ago on the differences twixt England and the continent. It confirmed many of my impressions since I've been traveling over here. And just FYI, here's another reason why I love the French: The usual admission to the Louvre is 9.5 euros, but if you are a french citizen who is unemployed or receiving benefits you can go in free any day it's open. Now that's what I call liberte, egalite et fraternite. (excuse lack of accents, pls)

I'm headed over to an hotel on the Ile St. Louis tomorrow for three days before heading south for Thanksgiving in the country. My favorite cafe is there, and views of Notre Dame and the marionette shop, and just all kinds of lovely things. As the weather promises rain and snow (!!), this might be a good time to explore what is known as Les Passages of Paris -- collonnaded sections around the Marais/Opera vicinity that are very old indoor avenues of pedestrian only commerce. Could be interesting as I've been reading about them. Will post pics. I love the Ile, so quiet and old, the heart of Paris, the quiet, ancient, beating heart of Paris...

okay... let's go to film, Maurice...



No comments:

Post a Comment